Local Studies Collections
We can help you to explore your family and local history through our unique collection of resources - who knows what you might discover!
Click a bookmark to get more information on each venue
Please come and view our collections and undertake your own research. If this is not possible, the local studies staff can answer simple enquires by phone, email or letter but we are afraid that we can’t undertake in-depth research. The service is free although donations are greatly appreciated and we will only ask you to pay for your copies.
Most ON at Fife Libraries offer a small collection of local studies materials and all offer access to SCRAN on public PCs. It's an online treasure trove with over 390,000 images and media from Scotland's museums, galleries and archives.
Each library in Fife has access to the Ancestry Institution website for free, you only need to pay for your printouts.
The Local Studies Collections
To help you reasearch your past, we have a large selection of resources in our Local Studies Collection, including
- Historical gazettes and a large collection of historic trade and street directories – many of which you can search for on the Library catalogue
- A large collection of historical Fife newspapers on microfilm
- An extensive selection of indexed Fife maps
- A unique resource of Ordnance Survey Name Books for Fife.
- A photographic archive of the local areas.
- Valuation rolls with names, addresses, occupations of tenants and landlords for most of the property in Fife from 1855 to 1985 and property valuations
- Cupar Library holds a collection of Fife Sasines (records of the transfer of property) which has been indexed.
Remember that ON at Fife Archives also has a vast collection of material useful to any budding local historians and ON at Fife Museums has a major collection of local photographs and items on local industries etc.
Explore your local area's past at:
- Inverkeithing Library and Heritage Centre
- Newburgh Library and Heritage Centre
- Newport Library and Heritage Centre
You can also find many documents on Fife local history in St Andrews University Special Collection.