What's ON

Transport – Dunfermline’s Trams

[[{“type”:”media”,”view_mode”:”media_original”,”fid”:”7601″,”attributes”:{“alt”:””,”class”:”media-image”,”style”:”width: 200px; height: 126px;”,”typeof”:”foaf:Image”}}]]  [[{“type”:”media”,”view_mode”:”media_original”,”fid”:”7602″,”attributes”:{“alt”:””,”class”:”media-image”,”style”:”width: 200px; height: 120px;”,”typeof”:”foaf:Image”}}]]

This small section of steel rail is a reminders that tram services once operated in and around Dunfermline.

It took one hundred workers only ten weeks to lay the first 6.5 miles of track, which stretched from the centre of Dunfermline to Cowdenbeath. Even more impressive when you know that the work was done by hand with picks and shovels!

Laying the steel tracks began in August and finished in October 1909. Just days later, on 2nd November 1909, the first trams ran from Dunfermline via Cowdenbeath and Lochgelly to Lochore, taking many local miners to work at the surrounding pits, and bringing factory workers into the town.

Tram services ran from 1909 to 1937, with new lines from Dunfermline to Townhill, Rosyth and Rumblingwell and from Cowdenbeath to Kelty added during the first decade of operation. The final section of the tram line to be laid was from Dunfermline, along Queensferry Road to Rosyth. This opened on 17th May 1918.

When bus services began in Dunfermline in the 1920s, the demand for the trams dwindled and

The tram track on display in the museum came from the Dunfermline & District Tramways Company's Rumblingwell Branch.