What's ON

Recreation – Conductor’s Baton

[[{“type”:”media”,”view_mode”:”media_original”,”fid”:”7500″,”attributes”:{“alt”:””,”class”:”media-image”,”style”:”width: 200px; height: 45px;”,”typeof”:”foaf:Image”}}]]  [[{“type”:”media”,”view_mode”:”media_original”,”fid”:”7501″,”attributes”:{“alt”:””,”class”:”media-image”,”style”:”width: 200px; height: 83px;”,”typeof”:”foaf:Image”}}]]

Dating to 1894, this ornate baton was used to conduct the Brucefield Church Choir in Dunfermline.

Also known as the ‘Tin Kirk’, Brucefield Church was built in 1894 to accommodate the needs of Dunfermline’s growing population and was constructed with a corrugated iron roof. The church was demolished in 1902 to make way for St. Leonard’s Church, which was built using a bequest from local manufacturer, William McLaren.

The baton itself is inscribed with the words:-

 

“Presented to Mr J Craig by the members of the Brucefield Church Choir

Dunfermline. 2 November 1894.”